Who should be screened for colon and rectal cancer? The answer to this question is vitally important. It's true that colon cancer is one of the slower-growing cancers, but it is also one of the most preventable. Screening through colonoscopy can catch and remove polyps before they turn cancerous. Your physician should let you know when you need screening, but just in case that doesn't happen, or if you haven't seen a doctor in a while, there are some good, clear guidelines on when you need to be screened. Here's a hint: if you're over the age of 50 or you have IBD -- you probably need screening. Find out who should be screened for colon cancer.
Photo © Stuart Miles
- Researchers find a compound in the intestines of people who have Crohn's disease that may play a role in how the disease develops. The authors think a new understanding of how the compounds in the intestine interact could lead to a development of new treatments. (Thiesen S1, Janciauskiene S, Uronen-Hansson H, Agace W, Högerkorp CM, Spee P, Håkansson K, Grip O. "CD14hiHLA-DRdim macrophages, with a resemblance to classical blood monocytes, dominate inflamed mucosa in Crohn's disease." J Leukoc Biol. 2014 Jan 14. [Epub ahead of print])
- A county clerk in Florida files suit against her employer, claiming that she was wrongfully terminated because of her Crohn's disease. (Mauldin, A. "Court clerk employee claims wrongful firing." The Moultrie Observer. 28 Feb 2014.
- Balloon dilation of strictures in Crohn's disease may help as many as 70% of patients to avoid surgery. (Bhalme M, Sarkar S, Lal S, Bodger K, Baker R, Wille RP. "Endoscopic Balloon Dilatation of Crohn's Disease Strictures: Results from a Large United Kingdom Series." Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2014;20:265-270. doi: 10.1097/01.MIB.0000439067.76964.53)
- People with IBD who develop the skin conditions pyoderma gangrenosum and erythema nodosum may have some characteristics in common, including certain genes that are associated with IBD. (Weizman A, Huang B, Berel D, et al. "Associations observed between IBD patients with pyoderma gangrenosum, erythema nodosum." Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2014;20:525-533. doi: 10.1097/01.MIB.0000442011.60285.68)
You may have heard that smoking a cigarette will help lessen the discomfort of heartburn. I've heard this one for years from several different sources. Can it be true? Should you light up if you feel that heartburn coming on, or if you wake up with discomfort in the middle of the night?
More about smoking:
- Does Smoking Cigarettes Lessen Heartburn Discomfort?
- What Smoking Does to Your Guts
- Does Smoking After Meals Cause Cancer?
- Smoking, Nicotine and IBD
Photo © hinnamsaisuy / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Many people think that colon cancer is a "man's disease." Why is that? Because women don't have colons? Well, they do. Because women don't poop? Well, they do. Because women don't get older than 50 or get cancer? Well, they do both of these things too. So, is colon cancer a disease just for men?