1. Health
Amber J. Tresca

Faecalibacterium prausnitzii for Crohn's Disease?

By October 27, 2008

Faecalibacterium prausnitzii is a type of bacteria that has been isolated from the intestinal tracts of people who have Crohn's disease. Authors of a study from France studied this bacteria further, and discovered that when levels of F prausnitzii were low, patients were more likely to have a recurrence of their Crohn's disease after surgery.

The researchers then studied the effect this bacteria had in mice who have received a chemical that gives them colitis. The severity of colitis was reduced for those mice who received F prausnitzii.

It's a long way (and a long time) from studies on mice to a drug that can help humans with Crohn's, but the authors conclude that this little bacteria with the long name might be "a promising strategy in CD treatment."

Source:
Sokil, H, et al. "Faecalibacterium prausnitzii is an anti-inflammatory commensal bacterium identified by gut microbiota analysis of Crohn disease patients." Proc Natl Acad Sci USA (Epub ahead of print). 20 Oct 2008. 22 Oct 2008.

Comments
January 19, 2009 at 7:54 am
(1) Linda Buikema says:

Can you please tell me whether this faecalibacterium prausnitzii is available on the market?
I live in Holland en have Crohn’s disease since 1975; other pro biotica sometimes helps me a lot.
Thank you!

January 20, 2009 at 2:11 pm
(2) ibdcrohns says:

I don’t think this bacteria is on the market yet as a supplement — they’re still testing it in rats and mice.

March 10, 2009 at 6:16 am
(3) Michael says:

HOw do Probiotics relate to Faecalbacterium Prausnitzii?

March 10, 2009 at 1:39 pm
(4) ibdcrohns says:

I guess this bacteria would be considered a probiotic. It’s a “good” bacteria that lives in the colon.

April 30, 2009 at 4:20 am
(5) HASSAN says:

Hello,
I do my internship in Microbiology Master of this bacterium and its role in improving the status of Crohn’s disease.
The previous work gave encouraging results, but from there to talk about a treatment that is still a little early but it will not.
I am ready to share more information if you have any questions
Bine to you

May 8, 2009 at 12:05 am
(6) wanglifeng says:

i am a student from china.i wana ask how can i isolate and identify the bacteria with long name “faecalibacterium prausnitzii”?

May 29, 2009 at 1:50 pm
(7) crohn's patient says:

I’ve had crohn’s disease since 1993. Is this “F P” available in a probiotic form yet? If so where is it available for the public?

August 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm
(8) Jamyel says:

Hello I have always had problems with my stomach. I was diagnos with crohn’s 2000. I have had some of my colon removed twice in two years Iam now on
remicade and I also take asacls and imuran. My doctor says that there is nothing much that I can do. Is that true. I am only 37 years old. Please help I am looking for a nother way to heal.

September 26, 2009 at 11:35 pm
(9) angie says:

Jamyel
I’m sorry you’re having a bad spell. Don’t give up! I have Crohns too and found a good amount of relief on something called the specific carbohydrate diet, basically no sugar, processed food or complex carbs. Hard to follow, but worth it. There is a website for the diet that outlines it or a book, Breaking the Viscious Cycle. See if your library has it or order the book online. Good luck to you!

September 4, 2011 at 11:30 pm
(10) near the end says:

Still no sign of this strain on the market. Such a shame, because I’m not sure if the usual lactobacillus and bifidobacterium strains don’t seem to be cutting it anymore.

January 5, 2013 at 5:58 pm
(11) Ash says:

This strain is not available as a probiotic yet, but we need to consider what it is that this bacterium produces that provides the anti-inflammatory properties. Can we use another Clostridium Bacterium to provide the same benefits? I believe it is the Butyric acid or Butyrate that this Bacterium produces in the Intestines from Fermentation of Soluble fibre, particularly Pectin and Resistant Starch that is anti-inflammatory and the missing link.This means we can consume these prebiotics to increase the population of the Bacterium in the Colon.
Clostridium butyricum MIYAIRI strain is available as a probiotic in Japan and is known to produce Butyrate from fermentation of soluble fibre. The product is available in Asia as “BIFILAC”. Try to google “BIFILAC” for more info on this Probiotic product.

January 2, 2014 at 4:04 am
(12) Shi Yiing says:

Hi,

I was studying on this bacteria recently. May I know is it probiotic? can it be direct consume by human as a probiotic supplement?

Thank you.