3rd Times The Charm
- I'm going in for my 3rd colonoscopy tomorrow (only 15 years old), and I've always used the Miralax prep. First time I used orange Gatorade. That worked okay, but I can't stand it now. Second time I used apple juice. That sucked. It made it so thick and unappealing. Today, I'm using clear fruit punch. I'm happy I found this website to use these tips. I recommend staying right near your bathroom. I left my iPhone and laptop in there so I'd have something to do. I also recommend sucking on a hard candy or something to take the taste away if you're not near mouthwash. It's very gross, even if you like the drink you used. Trust me, haha. Good luck to everyone that's having one, and I hope I helped someone. :)
- —Guest LynnDee
Take The Day Off And Relax At Home!
- Do not take milk of magnesia or anything else out of the ordinary the day before -- just eat light so you aren't exacerbating the amount you'll have to expel the day of your prep. Take off work. If you have a hard time, remind your boss you may lose focus due to your clear liquid only diet, and the stress of leaving early (you MUST be at home at 5pm when you start). You'll feel hungry -- I suggest trying to sleep in so you'll have less time to feel so. Dress comfy and relax at home. Prepare your bathroom -- you'll be in it all night. A few magazines, a book, and a fragrant candle to make it bearable and comfortable. The miralax doesn't taste like anything, so just get a good flavor of Gatorade (that isn't red or purple -- I found a green "tropical blend", and alternated that with orange so I didn't get bored of one flavor). Have some Popsicles and Jell-O so you feel like you're eating something. Ginger ale is good too, makes you feel full and the ginger is good for your stomach. Good luck!
- —Guest Jen
Liquid Diet Beforehand
- I went in for one they gave me 2 cups of Picolax but the procedure was unsuccessful so back in a few weeks this time to take 4 cups of Picolax. My own GP says just to try a liquid diet a few days beforehand, that way my system should be clear.
- —Guest john
Extra Care For Sluggish Bowel
- The 4 liters of TriLyte (preceded by a day of clear liquid diet) might not have been the right choice for me. I drank the entire bottle over a 4-hour period and there was still no result. Having all that in, and nothing coming out -- very bloated. Finally some results after 5 hours, then an additional 10 hours of trips to the bathroom. The effluent never did run clear. I wish I had read these tips first: I would have had milk of magnesia the night before the prep and an enema the morning of the procedure.
- —Guest Sudzy
- The night before the prep day (before bed) take 3-4 Tbsps Milk Of Magnesia followed by 10-16 ounces of water. This will move the bulk. The morning of prep day take 3 dulcolax with a banana popsicle. One to two hour later microwave and drink one can of low salt swansons chicken broth. Starting at noon take one cap of 238gm Miralax mixed with a 50% low sugar lemonline gatorade and tap water in 8 ounce glass. Continue This step every 15 minutes until Miralax is gone. You will have bowel movements and that will eventually start to look the color of lemonade. Keep eating banana popsicles and drinking water. You will continue to have yellow colored bowel movements throughout the evening. Go for the colonoscopy the next morning. After you get home eat oatmeal and drink water. A few hours later start easing into regular food.
- —Guest Dave
Constipated with Miralax/Gatorade
- Having a tough go (no pun intended) now with the Mira/Gatorade prep. Started at 6pm, it's now 12:30am. No fireworks yet! Need dynamite I think!
- —Guest Sean
- "I was a nervous wreck dreading the prepping, mostly having to drink something nasty." Nervous wreck because you might taste something you don't like? Grow up! Coconut oil afterwards, if your rectum is sore. That stuff is amazing. It's not a good moisture barrier (like Vaseline) because it is absorbed so quickly, but it's wonderfully soothing and promotes healing better than anything else I've come across. Best thing for baby's bottom, too.
- —Guest Fred
- My doc prescribed 4 dulcolax at 1pm, then a mix of 238g of miralax in 64oz. of any flavor gatorade (EXCEPT red, purple, or blue) and start that mixture at 5pm, and try to end around 7 or 8pm. I'm 28 yrs. old, so this whole ordeal just seems very embarrassing to me. The prep has been bearable so far. It's 6:30pm now, and I think the dulcolax has kicked in since I've had 3 severe bouts of diarrhea already. After what i've read on here, I'm assuming there will be more on the way once I'm done w/the liquid prep. Also, I've been on a clear liquid diet; the broth has been the best cuz I've been starving since I woke up (I miss my usual bowl of cereal). Besides feeling a little weak, I'm doing OK. Remember to drink a lot of liquids to avoid weakness, and eat lots of Jell-O and popsicles (again, nothing red or purple, and I've heard blue).
- —Guest youngun83
Best "butt" cream
- Calmoseptine is great, very soothing and a fantastic moisture barrier protectant. Hard to find, I buy online at drugstore.com. I've found this great for any age babies to elderly for incontinence or diarrhea.
- —Guest Margaret (RN)
- I found that drinking 9 glasses of Golytly right out of the fridge gave me the chills. So I let the prep warm up slightly, turned up the heat and put on my fleece. After the procedure I was pleased to find out that there were no polyps and am happy for the peace of mind.
- —Guest Pamela
Miralax not too bad
- After reading this board, I was thrilled that I was given the Miralax/Gatorade prep. It really was much like others had said. I started at 5 p.m. drinking the Miralax with blue Powerade (which I may never drink again). The drink was not bad, but I don't drink much liquid so it was just tough to drink so much. Ended up throwing a good bit of it up at about 7:30. Continued going to the bathroom on and off all through the night. Drank magnesium citrate at 5 am for 9 am appt. THAT is best cold and through a straw and I kept sucking on butterscotch candy and rubbing it on my lips b/c that drink was nasty. Continued going to the bathroom until appt. Was scared they wouldn't do procedure, but they did and thank goodness, 'cause they'd never get me back there. Procedure included biopsies, but don't remember anything and felt pretty much normal about 3 hours after eating largest breakfast ever! Glad it's over, but Miralax prep was not too bad.
- I am glad I found this site. Was totally freaking out about my first colonoscopy and now feel bad after reading how others have had multiples. Feeling better knowing my Dr. has me on the Miralax/Gatorade prep. Ate mostly rice and noodle soup and will do the same tomorrow before starting prep. Thanks everyone for sharing.
- —Guest jenny r
Not As Bad As Feared
- For two days before the prep I was a nervous wreck dreading the prepping, mostly having to drink something nasty. I did the Dulcolax Miramax prep and it was EASY! I mean the Miramax had NO taste whatsoever. That was a HUGE load off my psyche. I didn't use Gatorade, because I hate the taste of Gatorade. I used lemonade. I had no cramping. My suggestion would be to start your light/white diet a couple days before the prep to ensure quick evacuation. Would do it again...if I had to.
- —Guest Mary
Doctor's Prescribing Habits
- Didn't want to have to drink a gallon of something. I have a hard time drinking that much of something that tastes good even. I had asked about doing the pills but the doctor said he doesn't do them anymore because people don't drink the amount of liquid they should and it can result in kidney failure. Just wanted to pass that information along. I detest having these tests!
- —Guest Debbie Do
Osmoprep Pills Worked Great!
- Had my first colonoscopy today, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. I took 4 pills every 15 mins. with 8 oz. of clear liquid for 5x the day prior to the procedure, beginning at 12:15pm. Varied the liquids from water to warm Jell-O (before it set) to tea. Had chicken broth for a late lunch. Started to kick in around 1:30pm. Then at 4:30pm I took the remaining 12 pills in 15 min. increments (4 each time). Really got busy after that, but was all cleaned out by early evening. Mild stomach cramping, but other than that, no adverse effects. I drank extra liquids too, and I think that helps keep the headaches away -- that and a bit of protein that you get in the broth. Scheduled for an 8am colonoscopy, and took no additional pills other than the osmoprep, with excellent results. Don't postpone because you dread the prep -- it's a bit inconvenient, but not dreadful (at least not with the pills), and far outweighs any negatives of not getting it done.
- —Guest Sailor