Treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis)
By Amber J. Tresca, About.com Guide
Diet and Nutrition
Diet and nutrition are an important part of the management of IBD. The exact effect of diet on IBD is still under debate by the medical community, but there's no doubt that good nutrition is essential.
- Clear Liquid, Full Liquid, Lactose Free, and Low Fiber Diets
- Is There a Special Diet for IBD?
- Recipes for IBD
- The Specific Carbohydrate Diet
- Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies in IBD
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Many patients are looking for alternative and complementary treatments for IBD. Some treatments that are currently being studies include aloe vera, nicotine, and fish oil.
- Herbs and Supplements for Ulcerative Colitis
- Supplements for Crohn's Disease
- Aloe Vera
- Ginger as a Digestive Aid
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Many different classes of drugs are used to treat IBD. Find detailed information, warnings, side effects, and interactions for medications commonly used to treat IBD.
- Drugs Used to Treat IBD
- Medication Side Effects Index
- Apriso Frequently Asked Questions
- Asacol (Mesalamine) Frequently Asked Questions
- Azulfadine (Sulfasalazine) Frequently Asked Questions
- Cimzia (Certolizumab Pegol) Frequently Asked Questions
- Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) Frequently Asked Questions
- Colazal (balsalazide disodium) Frequently Asked Questions
- Cyclosporine Frequently Asked Questions
- Flagyl Frequently Asked Questions
- Humira (adalimumab) Frequently Asked Questions
- Prednisone Frequently Asked Questions
- Remicade (infliximab) Frequently Asked Questions
Surgery for IBD can include procedures to remove all or part of the small or large intestine. This can sometimes result in an ostomy, which is when an external pouch is needed to collect waste.
- Discharge from a Rectal Stump
- Do Men Become Impotent After a Colostomy or Ileostomy?
- Fashion Tips for Ostomates
- How to Change an Ostomy Bag
- Ileostomy, Colostomy, and Ileoanal Reservoir Surgery
Surgery for Ulcerative Colitis
Pelvic pouch surgery is most often used to treat ulcerative colitis and includes j-pouch (ileal pouch reconstruction) which is typically completed in two steps.
Surgery for Crohn's Disease
Surgery for Crohn's disease is different than the surgery used for ulcerative colitis, the other form of inflammatory bowel disease. The type of surgery used most often for Crohn's disease is resection surgery.